Monday, September 19, 2011

Learning Through Love

     I've been blessed with some amazing teachers throughout my years in school, most of them English teachers.  Perhaps one of the most effective that I have ever had was my eleventh grade English teacher. 
     My teacher was consistently warm and affectionate to all of her students, but genuinely so.  You could simply see love for both you and her work practically radiate from her eyes.  She held high expectations of all of her students, however, she displayed these expectations to her class in such a way that you didn't feel you had to attain success to be valued, but rather that she simply believed in you, thought you capable and stood ready to celebrate with you once you acheived the potential that she always knew you could.  One wanted to do well in her class. 
     My class had a tendency to hesitate in responding to her questions throughout the school year, and Mrs. W. noticed quickly.  She'd often make it clear to us that "Wait time works well in this class," essentially meaning that she was going to stand at the front of the room silently until someone worked up the courage to respond.  This approach to teaching really was effective and she was able to, without showing any signs of frustraion, motivate us to participate in class discussions simply by displaying a confidence that, given enough time, any one of us could come up with a brilliant answer.
     Throughout the year, she displayed a great passion and love for both her subject and her students and really ensured that we not only learned, but felt very appreciated and intelligent while doing so.  In fact, I would have to admit that she is probably one of the greater reasons why I decided to become a teacher.
     Thank you Mrs. W.
-Rachel

I found this image on google.  I know it's not entirely relevant, but I just really find it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment