Friday, September 23, 2011

My Bronfenbrenner Ecological Niche.

My name is Rachel Hanks. I am an 18 year old female of very mixed ancestry. I am a student, a student teacher and a loving daughter and sister.
Microsystem: I attend RDC. I started a practicum today where I observe two advanced grade 9 English classes. My family consists of my mother, my little brother, and my father. I interact frequently with my friends. I am a member of the Christian club here at the college.
I suppose you can see my mesosystem in various ways. I sometimes bring my friends to Impact, and my college life influences my family because of all the homework I get, and my family life influences my education because emotions definitely influence how well you retain information and focus.
Exosystem: the legal system, the course requirements put in place by the U of L, Henry's eavestroughing (my dad's workplace), Media, etc.
Macrosystem: Christianity!!! I am pro life, conservative and I believe strongly that education is essential (being the first in my family to actually go to college or university, I've definitely seen how hard it is to survive without one).
Chronosystem: I have a cell phone and an ipad. I live in a democratic society. I like watching movies. It's 2011....
Really, I suppose it's somewhat difficult to disagree with Bronfenbrenner's theories. From my point of view, this is simply putting fancy names to common sense categorization of one's social milieu. However, I cannot really object to any of his systems, and I do think that it is very important to note the interconnectedness of one's microsystems in the teaching profession. My mother often says that whenever teenagers act abnormally or angrily, there's always a deeper reason that the teenager might not even realize themselves. I somewhat see this as a way to perceive Bronfenbrenner's theories in the context of teaching. Whenever our students behave abnormally, there is a reason, and since we have a limited perception of the microsystems of our students, it is almost inevitable that we have to deal with a solid dose of pain passing through the mesosystem into our classroom. And thus, I feel the value in Bronfenbrenner's theory is simply that it functions as a reminder that we truly cannot see all the facets of our students life, therefore, we really should show them compassion within a professional context and be understanding as we deal with the symptoms of this deeper pain they may be experiencing elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment