So today's discussion centered around the topic of IQ testing for children. Personally, I am somewhat on the fence about the issue. I definitely believe that the way IQ testing is structured definitely encourages an elitist mentality among those who score above average, and provides negative stigma for those who score below the norm. Essentially, I think this kind of rating system for intelligence really diminishes the strengths that people who have low IQs posess in other areas, and overly praises those who should already be able to realize that they operate at a slightly higher level of reasoning than the norm. I personally believe that children respond to the expectations others hold of them. If others believe they have great potential, they strive to meet this potential. Conversely, if they are clearly informed that others do not believe they posess the ability to succeed, it becomes much more difficult for children to rise above these negative expectations of them. Essentially, I view IQ testing as a way of indicating disbelief in the potential of children who score poorly. Rather, I believe that as teachers we should make it evident that we hold high standards for the success of our students, and that we believe that they all have the capacity to achieve their fullest potential regardless of the domain in which they are most talented.
I suppose I would appreciate IQ testing if the results did not emphasize so strongly an intellectual hierarchy. However, children in our society really do not need any more discouragement or disbelief in their abilities than they already may receive from themselves, their parents and their peers, and we as teachers should consciously strive to maintain encouragement and support even in the midst of giving criticism.
-Rachel
 |
| Found on Google. |
No comments:
Post a Comment